Focus is the main reason for your success at any given time.
If you want to get results in anything you are wanting to achieve, then there is a formula you may not be aware of. You are also already doing it most of the time, without even knowing it.
It’s called FOCUSING. It’s something we do all day long, we are always focused on something whether it be our business, our breakfast, a beautiful flower, this post, a baby, the ocean, the traffic whilst driving……you get the idea.
There is a difference between being fully present when we are focused and being hypnotized when we are focused. Being fully present is the formula for success.
‘Fully Present when focused’
This is when your full attention is upon
whatever you are focused on and you are fully involving yourself with no distractions. Just like when you are first learning to drive a car, you cannot think about anything else but what is before you. All your senses are heightened and you feel very alive.
Plus, if you have waited a while to drive a car it is exciting to finally be behind the wheel of what you may call: FREEDOM. This comes easy when it is something you are passionate or excited about, you are really honed in and locked on. Your full energy presence is there. You feel quite alive and you could do it often. It requires your full attention for obvious reasons. This is the formula for success.
‘Hypnotized when we are focused!?’
But what about when you are doing something and your mind is elsewhere? For most of us who have been driving a car for a while, it’s easy to think about other things, so much so that you often drive from one destination to another to only realize, were those traffic lights green? This is what I call being hypnotized while we are doing things that become second nature or mundane.
So in essence, we are not really focused in a way that is a strong point, but rather we are less focused. It requires less of us because it is something we have mastered. Success has been achieved.
It’s natural to feel this way because as you do something more and more, you get comfortable and you sort of ‘mesh’ with it. It’s almost like the car becomes an extension of you and so thinking other things whilst you are driving can become routine.
I always think it is a good idea to remember where you are and have your wits about you, since you are driving a vehicle on the road. Definitely taking a different route, can cause you to be more aware whilst you are driving.
But don’t be fooled though, I too have been guilty of my share of daydreaming and mundane-ness which has caused me to become another hypnotized zombie on the roads.
However, this post is not about driving your car on the road and how to stay focused, it is merely a cross-reference to what I am getting to. I just wanted to explain the difference in the way that we feel when we do those mundane things and how it affects our lives.
‘Whatever you are doing in your life, you are focused on something’
So whether you are focused on the road whilst you are driving, or whether you are focused on something else in your mind, either way, YOU ARE FOCUSED.
‘How do I get focused on something that I want to be successful at?’
In order to become successful at anything, you must first become successful at applying yourself. If you can’t muster up some sort of regime or schedule for a weekly plan, then you will never put one foot in front of the other. This often feels like hard work for most people, but actually it can be quite fun. Recently I just went from putting my schedule in a book to placing it on a whiteboard. Here is a video tutorial of me explaining the benefits of getting your ideas out of your head and onto a concrete platform so that your full-blown ideas can be seen and re-structured by you. Check out my video here.
‘What are you focused on?’
Remember earlier that I had mentioned in the top heading that: THAT FOCUS IS THE MAIN REASON FOR SUCCESS AT ANY GIVEN TIME.
What I mean by that is that no matter what you are focusing on, you are giving your attention to it. That can equate to working for you or working against you. Either way you get results. Those results can be appealing to you or displeasing.
So now I am going to share this little secret that has already been mentioned in another way, above in this post. I am going to make it clear, so that wonderful ever-present you is going to absorb it.
YOU HAVE THE ABILITY TO FOCUS AND YOU DO IT ANYWAY,
WHAT ARE YOU FOCUSING UPON IN ORDER TO DRIVE YOUR SUCCESS? You may want to ask yourself this question. But don’t worry I have laid out some solutions for you.
You’re probably saying, “hey what about the whacky things that help me to stay focused? Wasn’t that the main agenda? Where has that gone and when is it coming…..?” So glad you asked. It’s here RIGHT NOW and it’s going to help you to get focused!
So the first thing is to establish a schedule or routine that you can tweak along the way and if you watched my video tutorial about that in this post, then that is the best step you can take to making progress. It’s powerful stuff and it works.
Now for the ‘Whacky things that have helped me stay focused.’
That tree sure does look whacky, but no he certainly doesn’t help me in any whacky way. You must agree he is whacky though? But not really helpful.
- Schedule board(refer to video)
- Meditation-a lot of people have a mis-conception about meditation. Meditation can be listening to relaxing music for 10-20mins. whilst breathing and relaxing. It clears your mind and re-sets you. For me, it gives me a clear mind to begin with so that when I want to work on things it comes with ease. Don’t make it hard on yourself just see it as relaxation time. If you have ever cooked a large roast or seen someone else do it, they will rest the meat so that all those lovely juices can flow, It also allows for the meat muscle to begin to relax. You basically do the same thing when you relax to music.-Whacky but it works.You must make time to do it most days.
- Exercise-I do Zumba and it is a total work out, release and freedom experience. Twice a week is what I can manage and I just love it. Stick to some kind of exercise programme that doesn’t feel like exercise. Find something to do that is fun and active. I also take my dog for walks in between so that adds to my activity.
- Get out in nature-at least 3-4 times a week. I will go for a quick walk or bike ride with my dog. This is something that is pleasurable and relaxing to the mind. It is also a creative time. Don’t make work of it-it needs to be something you enjoy and if you are working alone or at home, it keeps you connected to yourself and others that may be on your walking track. Nothing like a break for fresh air and sunshine. Whacky?-No!-just natural.
- O.k, now here is a real whacky one- I sometimes lay in my bed before I go to sleep and rest my hands to either side of my body. Palms are turned up. I use this trick if I get stuck and nothing else has worked. I say to myself in my mind as I speak it out the Universe-“Please bring me the solution that I am seeking, I am ready to receive it now” -or something like that. Then I let it go and let things take their natural course while I get on with my work. It’s fun and it works. If it doesn’t work then you may need to work on letting it go so it can find it’s way to you. Solution?-Get busy!
- This one is not really whacky, but I still love it. Imagination. In my mind during the day I often find myself thinking about how I would like to see myself. Happy, healthy with a successful business and becoming more successful with a loving family. Happiness is the greatest success you can have, because the truth of it is, if you can’t be happy where you are, you will never be happy. So I often appreciate the wellbeing and happiness in my life because money is a by-product to your life’s necessities, but happiness is everything. Get happy-life and success starts with inner happiness. Find your inner happiness for you that suits you and don’t let anyone tell you that you are doing it wrong. Just make sure it is helpful and not harmful. Some people like to use a Dream Board. I believe that Dreamboard is in one’s own mind. But whatever works for you, give it a go. Make it fun.
- Food is as important as money in the sense that without it, we would find it hard to survive. Eat foods that help you feel focused and give you energy that is sustainable. Hey I love my coffee, but I limit myself to two a day and only have them in the morning, so that by the evening the caffeine in my body is low and I can wind down.
- Early nights-establish a time to go to bed and try to adhere to it during the week. Getting plenty of rest and rising early will make you feel better all round. Play with it and see what works for you. Not really whacky but it does make a massive difference in your life.
- DRINKING WATER and plenty of it. Hydration is important as your cells will function better in your body and so will you. You would be surprised how just drinking water will change your energy levels. You would also be surprised to know how much you sweat without even knowing it. Your body is burning energy all of the time. Hydrate. Hydrate. Hydrate.
- This one is not whacky but you would be surprised how many people don’t manage this one. Time management. When you do your schedule you will need to keep in mind the time that you are going spend on subject each day and adhere to it. Sure you can make tweaks but if you are slacking off, then it’s not gonna work at all. Don’t over do it, be real about what you can do in 4-6 hours. If you over-strategize you may not be able to adhere to it and then begin to think….this really doesn’t work this schedule thing. Give it a month to fine tune it….hey Rome wasn’t built in a day.
- Some more whacky ones now. When I go to sleep at night I feel appreciative for what was wonderful for that day. Even if it was not good, I feel good that it was brought to my attention and think about how can I make it better. Likewise-when I awake in the morning, my attitude to my day is checked before I finish making myself look nice and groomed. Which brings me to self love. Told you it was going to be whacky.
- Self-love. This topic has been covered so many times by so many people and masters and I am going to add to it now my own experience. Little by little, day by day, when you get up in the morning to wash your face feel proud about something about who you are. Find something nice about your physical presentation. It might be your eyes, your skin….anything….find it and when you do, over time more of it will come. In time you will begin to see yourself as someone who is worthy, loved, respected, intelligent and kind. If you find those things is yourself, then over time the universe will begin to match those feelings of your life with real life experiences. More than anything you will become more proud of who you are and your self belief will permeate all things around you. Your work, your family, your health, your financial balance, your everything.
I think the biggest thing that helps me stay focused is to know that I am helping someone, somewhere, somehow. It is wonderful to receive in life and it is part of the natural balance, but I can tell you that there is nothing more exhilarating than to give in abundance from one’s own time, heart and love. Love what you do and give with your heart because that is truly the best way to focus. When you know why you want to do something, it becomes easy, natural and life-giving to others. I hope you enjoyed this post and I would love to hear about the whacky things you do to stay focused.
Have a good one-Jennifer